This month we’ll be featuring writing prompts from writers within the StoryADay community, and myself. Let me tell you, from what I’ve seen already, there are some GREAT prompts coming your way.
Each prompt this month will set a scenario or scene for you to play with, or suggest elements of story that you can use. If you post your story on a blog, please do share a link in the comments so we can all see it. It’s fun to see what other people do with the same story elements!
Today, write a story that features people disappearing.
- The story can be serious and traumatic or it can be fun and lighthearted.
- Perhaps your main character is in a war zone or a dystopia and the people around them are being taken by hostile forces. What does this do to your main character? Are they under threat too?
- Perhaps your main character is unhappy with their life and the mysterious, Twilight-Zone-like disappearance of the people around them is a blessing and a joy.
- The disappearances can be literal or metaphorical. We’ve all had that friend who just drops us without another word, right?
- Perhaps the main character is a pet who doesn’t understand where ‘his people’ go every day when they disappear. Perhaps he’s a dog, who forgets that they come back every day, and is equally thrilled every evening when they reappear.
- Your story could feature a magician!
- Maybe your main character is elderly, the last surviving member of a vast group of siblings.
- Maybe your story is set in a limbo full of babies waiting to be born! Or in a foster home.
- Maybe your main character is the one who is disappearing. Literally? Figuratively? On purpose?
Don’t forget to leave a comment, and come back tomorrow for more prompts!
If you want to receive prompts by email this month only, go here and make sure you select the box that says “StADa Sept 2015 – News and Daily Writing Prompts” (If you’re already on the list, enter your email address anyway and you should receive a prompt that lets you change your preferences)