It is day 13 of StoryADay September and you have almost made it to the halfway point. How’s it going? What challenges are you encountering? What are you learning about your writing habits? Leave a comment, or get in on the discussion in the forums.
Short stories can feature just one main character. You can totally get away with it. But not all the time.
Play With Your Secondary Characters
What is a secondary character? It’s any character who doesn’t matter to the story if you take out the protagonist.
Everything the secondary characters do in this short story should relate to the protagonist in some way:
- The villain forces the main character to pursue a course of action
- The best friend helps the main character figure out what she should do
- The sweet character storms off, showing up how much of a jerk the main character is being.
As you write your story today make sure to include secondary characters and pay attention to everything they do. if they start to wander off-script, into areas that do not directly relate to your protagonist, stop them! (Promise them their own story tomorrow, if you have to!)
- You should use the prompt in your story (however tenuous the connection).
- You must write the story in one 24 hr period – the faster the better.
- Post the story in the comments — if you’re brave enough.
- Find something nice to say about someone else’s story and leave a comment. Everybody needs a little support!
Share this challenge on Twitter or Facebook
Some tweets/updates you might use:
This week’s #WriteOnWed short story #writingprompt is up! #storyaday http://bit.ly/ZmAKDq
Come and write with us! #WriteOnWed #storyaday #writingprompt http://bit.ly/ZmAKDq
See my story – and write your own, today: #WriteOnWed #storyaday #writingprompt http://bit.ly/ZmAKDq
The Write On Wednesday story prompts are designed to prompt quickly-written stories that you can share in the comments. It’s a warm-up exercise, to loosen up your creativity muscles. Come back every Wednesday to see a new prompt or subscribe.
Why not copy and share this prompt with your friends? Today's StoryADay May prompt is here: http://storyaday.org If you would like to be the Guest Prompter, click here.