(aka The Informal Bit)
StoryADay is a private community. By joining the community you are expected to abide by rules of common decency and respect for your fellow humans (and aliens, as appropriate).
You agree to
- Engage in constructive debate
- Critique in a helpful way, not a destructive way
- Communicate with others in a professional way
You agree not to
- Flirt (sorry, but not everyone is comfortable with the same level of innuendo. Let’s keep it friendly and professional, folks)
- Insult people
- Share or promote any derogatory or defamatory material about any group or individual. This includes race, gender, religious, political or sexual bigotry
- Steal and/or repurpose material from this site without explicit permission.
Breaking these terms will results in ejection from the community at the sole discretion of the owner. No refunds for courses or services are guaranteed if you are removed for cause.
You can always communicate with the owner at julie at storyaday dot org, to communicate any concerns.
(aka The Slightly More Formal Bit)
StoryADay is dedicated to providing a harassment-free community experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of community participants in any form. Sexual language and imagery is not appropriate for any community venue, including webinars, video hangouts, chat threads, Slack channel or blog comments.
Community participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the community without a refund for any classes or membership up to the point of expulsion, at the discretion of the community organizers. Our anti-harassment policy can be found at:
Harassment includes, but is not limited to:
- Verbal comments that reinforce social structures of domination related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, religion
- Sexual images in public spaces
- Deliberate intimidation, or stalking
- Sustained disruption of live events
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, organizers retain the right to take any actions to keep the community a welcoming environment for all participants. This includes warning the offender or expulsion from the community, with no refund.
Community organizers may take action to redress anything designed to, or with the clear impact of, disrupting the event or making the environment hostile for any participants.
We expect participants to follow these rules at all event venues and event-related social activities. We think people should follow these rules outside event activities too!
If someone makes you or anyone else feel unsafe or unwelcome, please report it as soon as possible. Harassment and other code of conduct violations reduce the value of our community for everyone. We want you to be happy here. People like you make our community a better place.
You can make a report either personally or anonymously.
You can make an anonymous report here
We can’t follow up an anonymous report with you directly, but we will fully investigate it and take whatever action is necessary to prevent a recurrence.
You can make a personal report by:
- Calling or messaging this phone number: 484 393 2233. This phone number is continuously monitored and all information provided will be treated in strictest confidence.
- Contacting Julie Duffy at julie at storyaday.org
When taking a personal report, we’ll ask you to tell us about what happened. This can be upsetting, but we’ll handle it as respectfully as possible. You won’t be asked to confront anyone and we won’t tell anyone who you are.
License and attribution
This policy is licensed under the Creative Commons Zero license . It is based on the sample policy created by Geek Feminism.
Get Your Creativity Bundle
StoryADay.org is home to an annual Extreme Writing Challenge: Write a story every day in May.
Home to a supportive writing community all year 'round!
Bonus: Get your free creativity bundle now!