Rapunzel’s saved her from an enchanted prison. Sampson’s gave him unparalleled strength. Medusa’s was nearly as deadly as her eyes, and in Pope’s mock-epic, Belinda’s drives the Baron to distraction.
Tell a story about a “hairy” situation.
- Imagine a comedy of errors between a novice hairdresser and their demanding client.
- A mystery in which a lock provides the only clue … or a portal to another time on another planet on which everyone is bald.
- How might things change if it were animal hair or peach fuzz or electrified?
- If sprouted from a museum statue that suddenly came to life?
- If you gave Medusa’s hair to Belinda or turned Sampson and the Baron into roommates?
- Maybe plop one or more of them into a completely different genre or setting?
- You may even have a real-life hair horror story–Now give it to a character who is your complete opposite.
The possibilities are as numerous as … the hairs on a human head.
Michele E. Reisinger
Michele is a writer and educator living in Bucks County, PA, with her family and never enough books. Her short fiction has appeared in Across the Margin, Stories That Need to be Told, Sunspot Literary Journal, Dreamers Creative Writing, and others. Find her online at mereisinger.com.
Join the discussion: what will you do with today’s prompt OR how did it go? Need support? Post here!