Our theme here at StoryADay this month is “Openings & Endings” so here’s a prompt to help you with the first of those.
Your opening line is: The chairs, the tables, the pictures on the walls, everything was right where it ought be, but something wasn’t quite right.
- This prompt seems like it could be leading you to write a contemporary, realistic, narrative story, but don’t let that hold you back. If you want to write an absurdist, stream-of-consciousness piece with four different perspectives, you go right ahead!
- Think about who might care about things being right (or wrong) and why?
- What has happened up to this point in your character’s life to make them so suspicious…or paranoid?
- Is your character like Columbo or Monk, a person with an obsessive eye for detail? Or is this a room that they know well because they spend a good portion of their day in it?
- What kind of room has chairs, tables and pictures on the walls?
- Should the room even be there?
- Is your protagonist human?
If you share you story somewhere (and here’s why you might not want to) post a link here so we can come and read it.
Leave a comment to let us know what you wrote about today, and how it went!