This post came from my local independent bookstore yesterday, closed for the moment, but imagining wonderful things. (You can support Reads & Co while they’re closed by ordering from them here)
What stories do the books tell each other?
If you’re having trouble actually writing stories at the moment, here’s a writing exercise to help you get started writing something
- Write down five things you can feel (physically touch) right now.
- Write down five things you can hear right now.
- Write down five things you can smell right now.
- Write down five things you’ve tasted in the past 24 hours
- Write down five things you can see right now.
And yes, I intentionally put sight last, because we tend to default to that, and it’s perhaps the least immersive of the sense in a story.
This exercise should pay off next time you have to write a scene and want to slow the action down or give the reader a moment to understand that something important is happening.
4 thoughts on “[Write On Wed] The Stories The Books Tell”
This prompt is a fun one!
I can’t wait to see what this group comes up with for this one!
I absolutely love this prompt! I am going to crawl into it and never come out.
And lucky me, I get to visit the shop and listen to the books when it opens again.