In honor of this month’s theme, here at StoryADay, of Refilling The Well, I’m issuing a very odd writing prompt:
Don’t write/watch/read any stories today
- You’re probably a writer because you love stories/reading/storytelling.
- Since you decided to become a writer, your ‘work’ is storytelling, and so everything related to stories is now tinged with a different color.
- You used to relax by reading a good book, or watching a good show, but now those things make your subconscious go “oy, my character development isn’t as good as this” or “oo, I could do that in my third act…”
- You need to find, and indulge in, activities that are completely unrelated to writing/storytelling.
- Think about things you used to love to do as a kid (yes, I know, I know. I mean *apart from reading*). Did you like to roller-skate? Dance? Skip? Play tennis? Play piano? Sing? Knit? Paint? Build things? Garden? Hang out with friends? Lip synch?
- Pick one and try it. Clear 30 minutes out of your schedule and do something completely unrelated to storytelling.
P. S. Leave a comment to let us know what you picked and whether or not you felt rejuvenated afterwards.
2 thoughts on “[Writing Prompt] Don’t Write A Story”
Aaah, this is such a hard challenge! Even listening to music makes me think about writing. ;__; I’ve finally found that advice column podcasts work, oddly? I guess because I just think about real people instead of making my own. XD
It does help, though. I get overwhelmed when I have too many story ideas popping up, so it really helps to quiet them all for a little while.
Isn’t it tough? I had to play music myself, so my brain was occupied with that…