Steal the first line of your favorite book and write a totally different story
- Don’t agonize about your ‘favorite’ book. Just go to the shelf and pick one.
- Type out the first line and then think of ways you can take that introduction in completely different directions.
- Read Mary Robinette Kowal’s The Lady Astronaut of Mars, for an example of how you might do this. Or listen to the audio collection it comes from.
- Consider writing a tiny, flash-fiction story that you can start and finish today.
- If you’re brave enough, post your story in the comments.