Yesterday I wrote about “Hint Fiction”, a book of stories told in fewer than 25 words.
Write A Story In No More Than 25 Words
- Remember that, in short fiction, you are collaborating with the reader. Make them supply a lot of the detail by leaving spaces for their imaginations to fill.
- Feel free to write a longer story first and cut it down
- Don’t expect this to be easy or quick: 25 words is almost nothing!
- Read this review of the book Hint Fiction to see some examples of how this can be done well.
- Choose a moment that has some ambiguity in it.
- Make the title count.
The Moment That Altered The Course Of Her Life
Her arm, casually draped across his chest, felt a sudden, pounding footrace: his brain vainly chasing the escaping heart-words. Her pause, a lifetime. Then: yes.