Completing our month of character-focused prompts, I have a doozy for you this week 😉
Write a Story About A Character Who Does and Says Things You Never Could
- Let them be as heroic/funny/romantic/angry/mean/bitter/vindictive as you like.
- Don’t worry about making them rounded. This is a short story not a novel. You can give them one line where they move a cat out of harm’s way before nuking the city, to let us know there’s more in there than the pure character we’re seeing in this moment. This isn’t a novel. We don’t need to see much more than that.
- We don’t even have to like your character. We’re investing a few minutes in them. We can loathe them…
- Think of an issue that’s liable to set you off on a rant (it could be anything from a hole in your sock to the hole in the ozone layer, from apostrophes to healthcare, from sport to cell phone use) and think of a character who shares your position on that thing (or opposes it) to the extreme. Put him/her in a situation that’s going to get him riled up and start the story just after that has happened.
- Don’t back off. Let them say all the things you never would. Remember, you don’t have to show this to anyone if you don’t want to (but I bet you’ll want to).
Leave a comment to let us know what you wrote about today, and how it went!
If you share you story somewhere (and here’s why you might not want to) post a link here so we can come and read it.