This week our themes are focused on characters’ needs. Today, something above a survival need, but something that is nevertheless deeply important:
Write a story about a character who desperately wants to belong
- This can be any kind of relationship story: love, friends, family, career.
- The character must NEED to belong so badly that they’re willing to go through hell to pursue their need.
- Your story should take your character somewhere: will they change to fit in, or will they realise that’s too big a step for them. Will they be OK with that (in either case)?
- Show us why your character needs to belong and how that need drives her every action.
- Put obstacles in her way as often as possible and show us about your protagonist’s character by showing us how he/she reacts to the obstacles.