Ever have one of those lessons that you know, but you need life to kick you in the face with again and again, because you can’t make yourself learn it otherwise?
I’m currently letting life kick me in the face with this one:
Write First. Then Let Life Happen.
It’s hard to make time for writing. It’s harder when you’re worrying about all the other things you have to do as well.
- Do you peek at your email before you sit down to work on your current writing project?
- Do you do a survey of all the projects you want to work on?
- Do you check Twitter, because, c’mon each tweet is only 140 characters long?
And do you end up finding it harder and harder to start work on your actual writing?
Join me in my new pledge: Write First.
As much as I possibly can, I pledge to Write First.
The rest of life will catch up with me as soon as it possibly can, whether or not I invite it in. So when I sit down to write, I will write first, email later.
To help me with this pledge, here are some things I’m going to do
- Plan what I’m going to work on before my next writing session begins – I don’t want to sit down and think ‘hmm, what will I work on today?’. I want to sit down, knowing that I’m working on that scene where my main character is doing this thing. Or that I’m going to take this story idea and turn it into a first draft. If I have to plan this the night before, fine. If I have to plan it while I’m driving home from a day of Real Life, that’s OK too. But I need to be ready to go as soon as I sit down.
- I will not have any social media windows open until after I have reached my goal for the day.
- I will not give up until I have reached my word count or project goal for the day. Even if I’m feeling stabby.
How about you? Will you join me? What will your ‘rules’ be?
WRITE A SHORT STORY TODAY!
Download the free StoryADay Short Story Framework and:
- Draft a short story today: no more stalling
- Discover the story-telling secret in finishing your stories
- Make today Day One of the rest of your writing life
DON'T MISS OUT ON YOUR LIFE'S CALLING!