Today’s prompt has your main character is about to enter a tunnel, what sort is for you to decide but here are some tips
- The Tunnel – You are in control. Is it dark or are there lights along the walls or roof ? Is it long and winding or can you clearly see the thrs ugh to the other end? Is it running through a cliff face making it impossible to go over or round because there’s a sheer drop to the ocean below, or through a mountain. Set the scene.
- Are memories of those childhood fears of the dark and/or enclosed spaces triggered. Or perhaps the entrance ignites an excited sense of adventure, the sort that can be lost with the responsibilities of adulthood.
- Is your main character alone, or with company? Does this add to the fear or confidence or make it worse?
- Are they in a vehicle or walking?
- If in company, why are they at this point and what is the tone of conversation?
- This could be cHildesheim good fun, a comedy or a bit of a thriller. Which is it to be?
- Maybe they are being chased. If so are they the good or bad guys?
- Once through dops the fun end, maybe they man age to lose their pursuers and have a clear run to freedom.
- Let your imagination place you right there . What first came into your mind when you read the title of today’s prompt? Run with it. Don’t think too hard or long about it, sit down start typing and just…
Vanessa ‘Rosie V’ Cooper is mum to five and Nanna to two wonderful (though rather noisy and ‘full on’) children/grandchildren. In Feb 2016 she will begin a degree course with The Open University in English Literature and Creative Writing. Check out how she’s faring so far at one of the two sites she is gradually building up: Rosie Speaks About… or The Book Lover
10 thoughts on “Sep 10 – The Tunnel”
Here’s a scary story: https://storiesin5minutes.wordpress.com/2015/09/10/tunnel-trouble-storyaday-post/
Slightly easier prompt that the past few days. 🙂
Not very good, but I wrote a post-apocalyptic medieval story. It’s just what came to my mind first and I ran with it. https://awritersoutlook.wordpress.com/2015/09/10/story-a-day-challenge-sept-10-the-tunnel/
I have a sick obsession with carnivals right now.
This was tough. I had several different ideas jostling with each other, dragging me toward different genres, but I ultimately took rosiev’s advice and went with the first one I had.
I decided that today’s prompt gave me a good reason to keep going with my Day #6 story (https://storiesbystolle.wordpress.com/2015/09/07/day-6-crescent-city-blues-part-1; the password is 6). It’s still not finished, but you can read the continuing adventures here: https://storiesbystolle.wordpress.com/2015/09/10/day-10-crescent-city-blues-part-2. The password is 10.
Here is today’s story. http://writerishramblings.com/2015/09/10/story-a-day-challenge-day-10-the-tunnel/
As always I went a different direction than I first thought I would.
This was great Kristi – brought back childhood memories of being a love-sick teenager. Thanks for posting 🙂
Okay, this is my take on it: https://angietrafford.wordpress.com/2015/09/10/the-tunnel/ enjoy it 🙂 feel free to leave me any comments!
Thanks Angie. I did enjoy that. I love the bit where he realises he’s not very good at map reading 🙂