Following this month’s theme of Refilling The Well, I’ve thrown some pretty unusual writing prompts at you, including Don’t Write Anything and Rip Off Another Writer.
In that vein, I’m bowing down to Julia Cameron today, and borrowing her concept of Artist’s Dates, popularized in her book The Artist’s Way.
Seek out something beautiful/inspiring today.
- You don’t have to write a story inspired by the thing you find. Just seek it out. View the world with curiosity and try to find something that makes you go ‘wow’.
- You might want to take a trip to an art gallery or a movie theater, or you might simply want to lie under a tree and look up at the sky through the leaves.
- You might want to listen to live or recorded music. Or watch your baby for half an hour while she sleeps.
- Breathe. Soak it in. Notice all the details of the Thing and of your reaction to it.
- Then go back to life, refreshed.