Over at Wikipedia, today’s Picture of the Day is At Breakfast by the Danish artist L. A. Ring.
Apart from being quite beautiful, the picture is a study in subtlety. According to the accompanying text, the artist is supposed to have surrounded his model (his wife) with subtle signs of his affection for her.
Write a story in which the objects surrounding your characters reflect how they feel about each other.
- Your characters don’t have to love each other. They might be enemies with jagged, broken window in the background of your scene.
- Don’t overload your story with details like this, but pay attention to the surroundings and include one or two clues.
- Or, alternatively, you can go crazy with this. Be silly. It’s just an exercise!
1. You should use the prompt in your story (however obliquely you use the ‘want’, it should be there in the character and all their reactions).
2. You must write the story in one 24 hr period – the faster the better.
3. Post the story in the comments — if you’re brave enough.
4. Find something nice to say about someone else’s story and leave a comment. Everybody needs a little support!
Share this challenge on Twitter or Facebook
Some tweets/updates you might use:
Don’t miss my short story: Subtle Signs #WriteOnWed #storyaday http://wp.me/p1PnSG-CW
This week’s #WriteOnWed short story prompt is all about subtle signs in the background #storyaday http://wp.me/p1PnSG-CW
Come and write with us! #WriteOnWed #storyaday http://wp.me/p1PnSG-CW
See my story – and write your own, today: Subtle Signs #WriteOnWed #storyaday http://wp.me/p1PnSG-CW