This month’s prompts are all designed to help you warm up for StoryADay May. This week, an opportunity to think about what it means to be a writer.
Write A Story About A Writer
- This could be an aspirational tale about a writer a lot like you, who is having some success (hey, there is a power in visualizing success!)
- This might be a twisted tale about something a storytelling causes to happen…in a story and in real life
- What features define writers? We’re not all alike, but what characteristics might a writer demonstrate and how might that affect their role in the story? If a writer is observant, they might demonstrate a willingness to stand back where another character would charge in. What consequences could that have for your story and for your character (for example: in a crisis situation, what if your writer character hesitated and missed an opportunity to do something important? What if their powers of observation were the thing that unlock the mystery?)
- Think about including a character who has strikingly different approach and see how that affects the action and outcome of your story.
- Consider making these two characters want different outcomes (or the same outcome but for opposite reasons).
If you share you story somewhere (and here’s why you might not want to) post a link here so we can come and read it.
Leave a comment to let us know what you wrote about today, and how it went!
Discussion: What did you write about today? Was your ‘writer’ character the hero, or not? Were they like you are? As you’d like to be? Something else? Leave a comment.
One thought on “[Write on Wednesday] A Writer’s Tale”
We enjoyed today’s prompt. It allowed us to have some fun with old characters and play around with a comedic angle.