It is day 13 of StoryADay September and you have almost made it to the halfway point. How’s it going? What challenges are you encountering? What are you learning about your writing habits? Leave a comment, or get in on the discussion in the forums.
Short stories can feature just one main character. You can totally get away with it. But not all the time.
Play With Your Secondary Characters
What is a secondary character? It’s any character who doesn’t matter to the story if you take out the protagonist.
Everything the secondary characters do in this short story should relate to the protagonist in some way:
- The villain forces the main character to pursue a course of action
- The best friend helps the main character figure out what she should do
- The sweet character storms off, showing up how much of a jerk the main character is being.
As you write your story today make sure to include secondary characters and pay attention to everything they do. if they start to wander off-script, into areas that do not directly relate to your protagonist, stop them! (Promise them their own story tomorrow, if you have to!)
And when you have written your story, comment on this post and let the congrats come flying in.
WRITE A SHORT STORY TODAY!
Download the free StoryADay Short Story Framework and:
- Draft a short story today: no more stalling
- Discover the story-telling secret in finishing your stories
- Make today Day One of the rest of your writing life
DON'T MISS OUT ON YOUR LIFE'S CALLING!